Fresh Start Exterior Alkyd Primer can be used on new or over previously coated wood. Since it’s oil-based, it will seal in cedar and redwood stains preventing them from bleeding through to the top coat. A gallon of Fresh Start Exterior can cover up to 400 square feet and a coat dries in 8 hours.
👍 We recommend using Fresh Start Exterior Alkyd Primer over red cedar shingles.
🏆 This is our best selling and staff's favorite exterior primer.
Paint Quantity Calculator
1 gallon of paint will cover ~400 sq ft. Whereas 1 quart of paint will cover ~100 sq ft. To get a rough estimate of how much paint you will need, run through these steps:
1. Add together the length of each wall.
2. Multiply the sum of the wall length by the height of the wall to
3. find the total square footage of your room.
4. Subtract 20 square feet for each door and 10 square feet for each window.
5. Multiply that final room square footage number by 2 to get the total square footage for 2 coats of paint.
6. Divide the number by 400 (gallon = 400 sq ft) to determine the number of gallons you need to purchase for 2 coats of paint.